Saturday, August 7, 2010

How Nugget became Charlize!

Hey everybody, Wade here blogging on behalf of my super-human wife Kellie. I thought I would tell you all the story of our new baby.


Wednesday: Wednesday night we had our last dinner out as a family of two at Friday's. Yeah, we really wanted to splurge on our last night :). After that we headed to the hospital to start the inducing process. We settled into a nice big room and Kel got a dose of medicine to begin the process. We kicked back and spent the evening watching The Big Lebowski and Its Always Sunny in Philadephia Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. We may have made a fan out of one of the nurses.


Thursday: Thursday morning the doctor came in and broke her water which was a bit of challenge but put us on the official path to meeting our daughter! They started pitocin shortly after in a drip and we played the waiting game. After 5.5 hours of labor Kel recieved an epidural. I attempted to keep her mind off of the pains with a series of bad jokes, schtick and slapstick humor. I don't think it was very effective. The epidural made her body twitch and shake. I kept flicking water on her and yelling, "The power of Christ compels you". Throughout the day nurses were constantly checking on Kel to track her progress. Finally after 15 hours of labor the doctor decided the progress was not fast enough and Kel would need a C-section.


Friday (12am): Things started to move real fast then. The anethtisiologist showed up shortly after and added some additional pain medication. I gathered our things to be transfered to the recovery room, grabbed a camera and put on my scrubs. Its a shame I didn't have them earlier. They could have really added to my comedy routine during the day. I waited for about 10 minutes in my scrubs while Kel was prepped for surgery. That was the longest 10 minutes of my life. I walked into the operating room and Kel was laid down and ready for the C-section. I stood by her head and stroked her hair while I watched the operation. Within 5 minutes they pulled our daughter out. I was able to go to her right away while the nurses cleaned her and did the apgar. I noticed right away our little girl had a ton of black hair. The funny part was it was all around the sides and back. She looked like Danny Devito, ha! The nurses were cracking up. The second thing we noticed is she has a huge pouty lip. I showed our baby to Kel then went with her to the recovery room for measurements while they closed Kellie up. Kel joined us moments later and got to properly introduce herself to baby. Charlize (Charlie) Ann Wessels was born on Friday, August 6th, 2010 at 1:38am. She was 7lbs. 13oz. and 21 inches long. She was very alert and starred at Kellie and I with a combination of docile and grumpy eyes. They could cut glass I swear. World meet Charlie!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

awe, yay. sounds like a hard days work for Mama but I'm glad Charlie is out and everyone is healthy! Congratulations :)

Unknown said...

also ...she's beautiful ;) just like mama.

FunnyGal KAT said...

Yay! Wonderful news! (and I love the name you chose for your beautiful daughter). Congrats to the entire family!

Ashley @ Ashley Loves Books said...

She is absolutely adorable! I love the name (and her nickname) and best wishes to the new family! Congratulations!

Rachel said...

Perfect name!!! She is so stinkin' cute!! Also, best day ever, because it's my anniversary.

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! She will have to be more Charlie than Charlize to survive in your neighborhood. (Unless she totally wraps those boys around her little finger.) :)

P said...

oh so cute!!!

Matt said...

Aw, congrats guys!!

lbluca77 said...

Aaaww she is so freaking cute. Congrats to both of you!

And I love the name, and you know my feelings about names. You get my name stamp of approval.

Tiffany said...

congrats!! she is beautiful.

Doniree said...

CONGRATULATIONS Kellie and Wade! She's beautiful and I'm so happy for you :) KELLIE, I hope you've had a margarita by now.

drollgirl said...

she is BEAUTIFUL!!!

congratulations to you both!!!

Amanda said...

ahhhh SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!

Amy said...

pretty girl! congrats Kellie and Wade!